So many people ask me: “Why the heck would you do the Tough Mudder?” You mean why wouldn’t I, right? It’s one of the toughest races in the world. If that doesn’t get you excited, maybe these other reasons will:
1. Free Beer and Oberto Beef Jerky at the end. Talk about celebrating the American way.
2. But in all seriousness, it’s for a great cause- the Wounded Warrior Project is an organization that helps those injured in the armed services. They provide medical and psychological care as well as offering resources to help our warriors get jobs. So far TM has raised over 16 million dollars for this amazing group!!
3. It truly celebrates all those that have served. Before the race starts the MC gives a special shout-out to our service men and women- I don’t want to ruin it but it makes me cry every. single. time.
4. It’s all about community. Your time doesn’t matter, what matters is every one crossing that finish line. There are numerous obstacles where you’ll need to enlist help from someone else to finish. If you’re running by yourself, don’t worry- most participants are more than willing to help.
5. You make friends! I don’t know about you but I think meeting new people is always fun. You can’t help but befriend the nice man that just threw you over a wall. I’ve also talked to couples that met on the Tough Mudder so keep an eye out single ladies and gents.
6. All sorts of athletes can do the TM. Whether you’re into crossfit, running, weightlifting or cross-training you most certainly can participate. Worried you won’t make it? They have a fun quiz on the website to tell you if you’re TM material or not.
7. It’s a great goal to train for: 10-12 miles of rough terrain and over 20 obstacles per event. Yes it’s hard! But it will give you an end goal. Here‘s a great resource to get you started on your training.
8. Bond with those you participate with. Whether you sign up with your crossfit group/bootcamp team or run it with friends/family you will feel closer after this event. You’ll be able to laugh at each others’ falls and reminisce over the torture of Arctic Enema for years to come.
9. For the sense of accomplishment. You get to say you completed a Tough Mudder- rated by Livestrong.com as the number one “Toughest Endurance Challenges (You can Actually Do)”. But more important than being able to tell people you did it? Is knowing you did it. Knowing you gave your all. That you took all the bumps, bruises, and build up of mud (in places you shouldn’t have mud) and crossed that finish line. It is a true test of mental grit and you completed it!
10. Did I mention free beer and Oberto beef jerky? Plus fun music and thousands of your closest friends all mingling and having a good time.
There you go. 10 reasons why you should try the Tough Mudder. Honestly it’s not that it’s the toughest or hardest race out there- its that it’s the only race where the people you run with become family.
You can find Tough Mudder:
You can find Oberto Beef Jerky:
The Wounded Warrior Project is an amazing organization!! Here are some things I was hoping would make your list:
-because you look really sexy afterwards
-because who wants clean car seats anyways?
-it's pretty much the same as getting a mud bath at the spa
Ahahaha these are all great!
Such an amazing opportunity to support a great organization! I don't think I'll ever have enough courage to try it but maybe someday! And PS, I totally agree with Claire up there! 🙂
Haha Sarah she's hilarious isn't she?
Great article! I especially like numbers 1 & 10 🙂 I hope to try a TM one day. I'll read your blog to prep for it
Yes definitely do! I'll have a post in the New Year just for that. It's so so fun!
This reminds me why I would like to do a tough mudder someday. I am a bit scared though. I am more into a colour run vrs a mud run.
Let me tell you I'm still cleaning mud out of my ears 🙂 But it was totally worth it!
Ahhh! I so very much wanted to do this and was set to go with my brother and his friends a couple years back…but then I got into grad school and moved across the country. ._. Someday!
Yes yes definitely do it someday SOON 😉
Sounds like a bloody exciting and fun thing to do!
Alex – Funky Jungle
Alexa it is! Plus there are so many fun people there to run it with!
I didn't realize Tough Mudder was a fund-raiser for those in the armed services! It makes a bit of sense though, doesn't it. I haven't done one myself but I've always wanted to. Don't know what's stopping me haha
Nows the time! I'm signing up for the one in Atlanta now!
I love the Wounded Warrior Project, thanks for the reminder to support them!
Absolutely! Such a great group!
This is cool! I love the wounded warrior project. I did some work for them a little while back and learned just how amazing this organization really is. I would love to try this, don't know if I could finish but I would love to try!
Kristin you can do it!!
That looks like a lot of fun! I may do one next year after I get my running legs back.
Barb it's totally worth it!!
I've only done color runs but this – this looks seriously cool!
It is so so fun. Favorite race of the year.
These are all great reasons and it looks like you had a blast, but I think I'm too wimpy to do something like this. Maybe one day….
You can do itttt!
Pinned this!! Great inspiration 🙂
Ah thank you Rachel!! It's such a fun race!
My partner and I stumbled over here different page and thought I might as well check things out.
I like what I see so i am just following you.
Look forward to looking into your web page again.
Comments are closed.