How to Help a Friend/Family Going Through Divorce
This has been a pretty requested post. If you have not or are not going through a divorcegoing through a divorce, you know someone who is. And it’s hard to help support them, especially if you haven’t been in their shoes! So I did a Q&A on Instagram and polled friends/followers who had been through divorce and what helped them the most. Here’s what you can do for a friend/family member going through divorce:
How to Help a Friend Going Through Divorce
- Be a sounding board for them. Let them scream, cry, talk shit…whatever they need to do to get it off their chest.
- Bring over food or offer to help with the kids/animals. Divorce can be so overwhelming and an offer of even the smallest amount of help can go so far.
- Check in every once in awhile. People going through divorce tend to hibernate for a bit. But left there for too long they can get depressed etc… So just check in and make sure your friend/family member is doing ok.
- Plan a trip/night out. It doesn’t have to be expensive- a staycation is a fantastic lower budget option. But give them something to look forward to.
- Send them Tiny Beautiful Things by Cheryl Strayed. This is a personal recommendation as a friend did this for me and it brought me to my knees. It made my cry and laugh and have hope for the future all at once. I read it in one day!
- Make them laugh. I don’t care how, just get a chuckle out of them. I have been at my lowest point and those who know me best would snap me out of it with a joke or a funny movie.
- Get them out and exercising! A hike, a walk, a fitness class you think they’d enjoy… endorphins and all that jazz.