I am a huge self tanner advocate. I used to be a tanning bed feen, but I got diagnosed with squamos cell carcinoma from using them. Squamos Cell Carcinoma is a type of skin cancer. They removed it all and I haven’t had any recurrence since then, but I like to err on the side of caution and keep my skin safe from the sun. Which is why I love self tanning!
So I’m sharing my self tanning tips, as well as products that I enjoy.
After years of trial and error, I’ve found a pretty fool proof way to get a gorgeous glow. Here are my self tanning tips:
- The day you self tan:
- Shave- take your time and get every stray hair.
- Exfoliate- use a loofah and soap. No sugar or salt scrubs as they contain oils that will prevent the self tanner from permeating the skin.
- DO NOT put any lotion on after you shower. Directly apply your self tanner. I prefer to use gloves to apply the self tanner.
- Apply the self tanner sparingly to elbows, knees, behind the knees, armpits, ankles, feet and hands.
- Do not shower for 24 hours, and try not to sweat!
- The day after you self tan:
- Shower, but make it a quick one. Only soap the essential body parts.
- Use JERGENS® Natural Glow® FACE Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 20 and JERGENS® Natural Glow® +PROTECT Daily Moisturizer with Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 20 directly after your shower to boost your tan.
- Continue to apply the JERGENS® lotion at least twice weekly to boost and prolong the self tan.
- If you have any streaks or patches- mix 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1 tbsp baking soda. Scrub it into the streak or patch to remove the excess tan!
- I also recommend sugar scrubbing your feet and hands the day after tanning to make it look more natural.
I love these JERGENS® lotions for several reasons. First, the gradual tan allows for a natural and pretty glow. Secondly, they contain SPF 20, which protects the skin from incidental sun. Like driving in the car or going for a short walk. I also really enjoy the color that I get from this lotion. I’ve been using JERGENS® for years and have yet to be disappointed in the tan I get from these products.
You can find these and several other JERGENS® products at Walmart!
What are your self tanning tips? I’d love to hear them!