This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SToKcoldbrew #CollectiveBias
The husband and I are doing a Warrior Dash this September for our anniversary. And I want to beat him. Competitive much? But really, every time we do races together he totally whips my butt and I’m over it! This time it’s on like Donkey Kong. Which is why I’ve put together this How to Train for a 5k for ya’ll!
How to Train for a 5k
To train for a 5k please remember these things:
- Get good running shoes! I get fitted at running stores specifically. They typically tell you to get at least 1.5 sizes bigger than your normal shoe size.
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Nothing is more important to your training than keeping your body hydrated!
- Watch your form. If your back starts hurting it’s because your form is off. Make sure to engage your core while you run.
To train for a 5k:
- For your first run, run as long as you can without stopping. Time it.
- Week 1- Run for 3 days that week, running the same time and distance as your first run.
- Week 2- Run for 3 days, running the same time and distance as your first run TWICE for each session.
- Week 3- Run for 3 days, running the same time and distance as your first run THREE times each session.
- Week 4- Run one day for as long as you can without stopping. Time it.
- Week 5- Run for 3 days that week, running the same time and distance as your second timed run
- Week 6- Run for 3 days that week, running the same time and distance as your second timed run TWICE per session.
- Week 7- Run for 3 days that week, running the same time and distance as your second timed run THREE times per session.
- Week 8- Run one day as for as long as you can without stopping. Time it.
- *Continue this process until you can run all 3.2 miles without stopping! If you want to increase your speed, add one more day of running per week in which you do 2 miles of sprints*
Something else that’s important for training is energy. As a mom of two, a business woman, and just a plain human being I am exhausted more times than not. Which is why coffee is a saving grace for me! I’ve just discovered this SToK™ Iced Coffee at Kroger and I am loving the boost it gives me!! This Bold & Smooth blend is my favorite of their flavors. It’s lightly sweetened so it goes down smooth, but has enough of that caffeine kick to insure a great workout and energy throughout the day. I love that it’s stocked at my favorite grocery store, so I can buy all of my training food essentials there along with my SToK™ Iced Coffee!
For my coffee snobs- you’ll love this brand! It’s high quality, no additives, delicious coffee. It’s also slow brewed so you get the best taste and the most caffeine. I know all my mamas are going to especially appreciate that! What’s your favorite Stok flavor?