Sleep Training Tips: What You Need
We all need sleep. I’m one of those who needs it more than most. If I don’t get a good solid 4 hours at least it’s end game for me. Seriously, I can’t function. With Hudson it wasn’t a problem. He slept through the night at 6 weeks and never looked back. Henley, on the other hand, hates to sleep. I’m not exaggerating here. She really dislikes sleep. So sleep training has been our focus for the last month and I am happy to finally say that she is sleeping through the night!! Here is how to sleep train baby.
How-to Sleep Train Baby- tips and tricks to get baby sleeping through the night! Including an example schedule.
These are the items we used to sleep train Henley (clockwise from top center):
- It’s Time to Sleep My Love– I read 15 minute of books to her every night, but I make sure to finish with this book every single night. This acts as a cue for her to transition into self-soothing mode.
- HALO SleepSack– Girlfriend LOVES to be swaddled and these tend to stay on the best.
- Baby Wise- This is the book I used to create her schedule and break her bad sleep habits. I also used it with Hudson!
- Motorola® MBP853Connect Digital Video Baby Monitor– This monitor is one of the best I’ve used! I love it’s wifi capabilities. If I’m out for a random night on the town, I can check in on her by signing into wi-fi on my phone!
- Marpac Dohn Original Sound Conditioner– I don’t use this every night. This is if we have people over or I know I’ll be making noise. I want her to sleep undisturbed so I turn this on to blank out all the other house noise.
- Happy Baby Happy Bellies Oatmeal– Adding 1 tsp per every ounce in her nighttime bottle has helped tremendously!
- Oilogic Sumber Sleep Essential Oil Roll-On– As part of her nighttime routine I give her a massage for 5 minutes. At the end of her massage I dab a little of this onto each of her heels.
As always, I found and purchased all of these items at buybuy Baby– my favorite baby retailer. If I ever have a question, or just want to try the newest baby gear, I go to my local buybuy Baby and talk to one of their very knowledgable staff. If they don’t know the answer to one of my millions of questions, they’ll certainly do everything in their power to find out! I so appreciate how customer service is top of mind.
If you need a point of reference for creating your own baby’s schedule- here is Henley’s current schedule:
- 6 AM 8 Oz bottle and jar of food
- 10 AM 6 Oz bottle
- 10:15 AM Nap
- 12:00 PM Wake up from nap and 6 Oz bottle and jar of food
- 4:00 PM 6 Oz bottle and Nap
- 5:00 PM Wake up from nap
- 7:00 PM Jar of Food
- 8:00 PM 8 Oz bottle with Oatmeal
- 8:15 PM Bath/Massage, Book Reading and then Bed
This post has been compensated by buybuy BABY. All words are my own.
I always wish I would have come up with a better routine for Jack. Now that Ava is getting older, I need to start one with her. I just so bad at it haha! Thanks for the tips!
This is a wonderful resource for new moms. I wish I had found an article like this when Maddy was born because we struggled. We still use her sound machine to this day (she’s turning five in two weeks) and it works really well. GREAT post.
I loved the book Babywise too. Plus a sound machine helped my little ones so much that my husband and I even have one in our room now.
Lol. Oh, what a cutie. I am on my 6th baby and have failed at sleep training every time. It doesn’t bother me though, I know the days are long but the years are short. I treasure the times together. But great advice for new moms!
I’m all about doing what you have to do to have a healthy, rested mama and baby!! Right there with you.
Great post. I have a sound machine to use when photographing newborns. Always so amazed how fast it helps the babies relax. Great tips on the scheduling!
I’ve heard about this sleep training thing! When I have a baby, I have to remember this!!
We don’t have kids yet, but this is brilliant! Totally pinning this on my baby pinboard for future reference! 🙂
This is soo incredibly helpful for when I become a mom! I’ve been reading up on lots of literature. It’s stressful to think about for when the time comes. Love your suggestions and hearing your reviews for what worked for you!!
Really good post! I loved Baby WIse and Happiest Baby On the Block. Both helped me with my girls. Though my first at a young again was the easier one. Now she wont go to sleep til I do and wants in my bed! :/
The essential oils is such a great idea. Thank You for all the suggestions.
I also use most of these items or similar ones for my baby. This is such a great guide!
The best baby sleep guide for me is ebook by Susan Urban “How to teach a baby to fall asleep alone”. It solved all sleeping issues since my son was born. I knew what to do to make him sleep better until he turned 3 months and then what to do to make him fall asleep on his own, we got rid of night feedings when he was 5 months old and the guide also helped us to make him nap longer than 15 minutes! I got the guide on this website: http://www.parental-love.com
I have followed this guide and I wanted to give you some feedback 🙂 So the guide is great – short with clear instructions and what is the most important it has worked on my daughter! Nice 🙂
So glad I bought this! Wish I had read it sooner. If you’re doubting this guide come meet my baby. He’s so happy, sleeps so well on his own and it’s all the techniques in this book! Love it! I recommend it to all of my expecting friends and family!
Comments are closed.