I was blown away by y’alls support over my divorce announcement. I can’t thank you enough. I also want to be able to make this as positive as I can, and one way I feel I can do that is to share all the wisdom I’ve received from so many of you. For the first part in this series, I want to share the best advice I’ve received so far:
- Join a support/prayer group. I found one through Buckhead church and have found it very helpful.
- NO MATTER WHAT remember that the kids come first. This was the #1 tip sent in. I received so many emails from people of divorced homes that told me they had a great childhood because their parents put them first. Their parents didn’t bad mouth each other and focused on co-parenting. These emails are what made me feel so positive about this whole process. As long as the kids are happy, everything will work out.
- Exercise- you knew I’d say it. I’ll be completely honest and say that I would have lost it if it wasn’t for working out. That may make me sound like a meathead, but I don’t care. Those endorphins are SO crucial to working through this whole process. It’s also about community- if you have a fantastic crossfit or gym with wonderfully supportive women? Total game changer.
- Lean on your tribe. If you’re like me it’s hard to ask for help, but they want to help you and you’re going to need it. So lean in.
- Make lists. Make lists of all the things you want to do. Places you want to travel. Accomplishments you want to achieve. Focus on the future.
- Give yourself grace. If you need to cry, then cry. If you want to stay home all weekend and watch romantic movies- that’s ok too. Just don’t simmer in it for too long. 40% of the adult population has gone through divorce. If they can handle it, so can you. So eventually, pick it up and start working on your list. I promise, once you do you’ll start feeling better.
- Change something in your surroundings just for you. Do you want pink wallpaper? Put it up. A sparkle room? Go for it girlfriend.
- Find activities to do, books to read, or projects to complete around the house.
- I loved this exact quote from one of you: Rediscover who you are and what you love.
If you have any other advice please share it below!